What is Toxic Mold?
Mold is a form of fungus frequently found in moist, warm environments.
It is a living organism requiring food in order to be sustained. Mold
feeds on organic material such as wood and paper found in homes and
Hundreds of species of mold are found in the United States that are not
harmful to people. However, certain Toxic Molds such as aspergillus,
penicillium, and Toxic Mold atra (also known as stachybotrus chartarum)
can cause a variety of illnesses. Stachybotys is not the green mold
found on bread or cheese nor does it have a musty odor.
Toxic Mold or black mold can be deadly, especially to children with mold
allergies. Toxic Mold has become almost epidemic in some parts of the
United States where foam board was used as wall insulation with no air
space to let walls breathe. After black mold begins to grow, microscopic
mold spores quickly become airborne and travel throughout air
conditioning and heating systems. You can inhale over a half million
spores per minute without knowing it.
Symptoms associated with Toxic Mold may include:
sinus headache and nasal congestion
memory and hearing loss
skin rashes and hives
ongoing sore throat and chronic cough
bleeding in the lungs
permanent cognitive defects
increased risk of tuberculosis
While it may not be possible to identify specific individuals who may be
vulnerable to molds – seniors, small children and infants, and those
with compromised immune systems and allergies are the most susceptible
to mold related symptoms.
Mold is a warning sign that there is a leak, it needs your attention,
and must be fixed.
Do I have a Toxic Mold Case?