Child support orders, Establishing fatherhood, and Finding the noncustodial parent


Child Support


How can we help you?
Valuable Resources for
Child Support Enforcement



State Child Support Resources

Learn about the State Agency Programs for child support available in your state.


Child Support Enforcement resources available from the Federal Government

Regional Offices, TANF information & Federal Child Support Handbook


Frequently Asked Questions about Support Enforcement

Child Support Calculators, Questions and Answers about Child Support Enforcement (CSE) Programs, OCSE info


Glossary of Child Support Terms

Learn the definitions of critical terms related to collecting child support. Find valuable resources for the enforcement of child support orders. /Child-Support/glossary.asp


Crib Designs and Safety Concerns

Yes, there are unfortunate instances where infants had died due to neglect associated with the manufacturing of cribs.


Child Support Service Resources on the Web

Links to resources about the Bureaus of Child Support Enforcement, Offices of Recovery Services, Departments of Human Services, Departments of Social Services, & Departments of Family Services.


Map of this section

News Blog

Find Help Now!

Frequently Asked Questions about child support orders, establishing fatherhood, and finding the noncustodial parent

Are you eligible for help with child support issues?
Every parent or any person with custody of a child who needs help to establish a child support or medical support order or to collect support payments is eligible to apply for child support enforcement services. in addition, if you have received assistance under the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Medicaid, or any Federally assisted Foster Care program, you are supposed to be automatically referred for child support enforcement services for further assistance in obtaining child support orders.

Where do I apply for help in obtaining a child support order?
It is best to apply through your state or local child support enforcement (CSE) office. These state agency offices can be in the phone book, or contacted through the local family court. When you apply to your local CSE agency, please know that you have the right to apply to other places as well, if that application will result in more efficient service.

Do I need to be certain who is the father?
There are a series of steps that must be taken to collect child support. These include:

  • establishing fatherhood (paternity)
  • finding a noncustodial parent
  • obtaining a support order
  • enforcing support orders

You must provide to the CSE office sufficent information so that they can be efficient in working on yoru case. Please remember thaat all information you provide is confidential. Therefore, the more details and accuracy that you provide, the faster they can process your claim and allow you to proceed to collect child support payments.

What information should I supply about the noncustodial parent?
You should supply the following information about the non-custodial parent

  • Name
  • Address
  • Social Security number
  • Current or recent employer
  • Friends and relatives
  • organizations to which he or she might belong
  • Information about his or her income and assets
    • pay slips
    • tax returns
    • bank accounts
    • investments
    • property holdings
  • physical description
  • photograph, if possible

What if I do not have the social security number?
There are other places to look. You can often track back to a social security number through professional licenses, driversí licenses, occupational and recreational licenses, and marriage licenses, divorce records, and support orders.

In addition, it is possible for a caseworker to access a database if you can supply some of the following pieces of information: the parent's name, place of birth, date of birth, his/her father's name, and his/her mother's maiden name.

How do I enforce child support against a noncustodial parent in the other part of my state after I have established paternity?
I most states, the local CSE offices can handle enforcement across different parts of the same state without your having to personally travel outside your local venue. To learn more abou this, you should ask your local CSE office for details about how enforcement would work in your child support situation.

Can I hire a private agency to find the noncustodial parent?
Yes, however the private service must provide a guarantee in writing that the information is to be carefully safeguarded, as this is highly confidential.They must also provide an agreement that meets state requirements for acting as an "agent of the child."

Philadelphia Lawyers - Pennsylvania Lawsuits at Monheit Law

Law Offices of Michael Monheit 1368 Barrowdale Road  Rydal, PA  19046
Call Us Toll Free: 866-761-1385  P: 215-840-6573  E: