Checklist for What To Do When in an Auto Accident
Traffic accidents, while all too common, are not everyday occurrences for most Pennsylvania drivers. It can be difficult to know what to do after a crash, particularly if you have never been involved in a crash before.
As a Pennsylvania auto accident lawyer, I want to make sure that you know what to do to protect your health, your rights, and your potential legal recovery.
By following the steps on this checklist you can systemically make decisions that will benefit you in the long run.
- Call the local police or 911 to report the accident and get emergency medical assistance (if needed).
- Take pictures of the accident scene.
- Write down the names and addresses of accident witnesses.
- Write down the name, address, and insurance information for any other drivers involved in the wreck.
- Write down and share with the police anything that you noticed before or during the crash that could have contributed to the accident. For example, if you noticed the other driver texting and driving or speeding then that would be important to report.
- See a doctor for a medical evaluation if you did not receive emergency medical services.
- Contact an auto accident attorney.
Please feel free to print out this checklist and keep it in your wallet or glove compartment so that you have it with you if you are involved in a car accident in Pennsylvania.